For many years, Access Endodontics has provided patients with endodontic retreatments in Ellicott City, Maryland. During these years, we’ve found that patients who have already had a root canal sometimes hesitate another procedure, seeing that their initial root canal failed.
However, if your endodontist recommends endodontic retreatment, you should take it seriously, as it can be the difference between keeping your natural tooth and needing to have it extracted and replaced.
Dr. Lina Jarboe, Dr. Burton Waxman, and the team at Access Endodontics offer the endodontic retreatment service, to save our patients’ smiles. If you’ve experienced a failed root canal, the five benefits below of endodontic retreatment may encourage you to reach out to your dentist or to call us at 410.304.7226.
What Is Endodontic Retreatment?
Root canal therapy has an extremely high success rate, with about 97% of all procedures proving effective. If you find yourself in the other 3%, endodontic retreatment may be the best solution for you.
The endodontic retreatment procedure is much like a root canal, except the infected tooth has already been treated and is filled with biocompatible material rather than dental pulp.
Another difference between endodontic retreatment and a root canal is that your endodontist is now aware that there may be a difficult-to-reach part of the inner tooth that needs extra attention. This means they’ll examine the inner tooth with extreme care to ensure no infection remains before resealing the tooth.
Signs You Need Endodontic Retreatment
You may need endodontic retreatment if your tooth that has received a root canal has the following signs:
- Consistent pain
- Pain when you chew
- Nearby swelling of the gums or jaw
- Sudden sensitivity to hot or cold
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, speak with your dentist right away. Tooth infections can eventually spread to other parts of your body.
Five Ways Endodontic Retreatment Benefits You
If you’re reluctant about going through another procedure similar to your root canal, then we encourage you to review the following five benefits of endodontic retreatment:
1. You Can Save Your Natural Tooth
Likely, your options for treating an infected tooth after a root canal are endodontic retreatment or extraction. While there are a few effective ways to replace a missing tooth, your dentist and endodontist will tell you that the best option is always to preserve your natural tooth when possible. Endodontic retreatment allows you to achieve this.
2. The Procedure Is Virtually Painless
If you have dental anxiety and have already braved a root canal, it’s understandable that you might not want to go back in for another procedure. But the truth is that you have nothing to worry about with your endodontic retreatment. The procedure is fast, easy, and involves little discomfort.
3. It Can Last a Lifetime
While tooth replacements are often durable and can last you well over a decade or significantly longer, a successful endodontic retreatment can last you an entire lifetime. This means no more procedures on that particular tooth.
4. It Won’t Restrict Your Diet
If you opt for extraction and some kind of tooth replacement, the prosthetic that you receive can potentially prevent you from eating certain foods. If you want a wider range of food options going forward, endodontic retreatment is your best bet.
5. It’s Cost Effective
Endodontic retreatment benefits you and may be more cost effective. If you were to opt for the best possible tooth replacement solution, a dental implant, the costs would be much more.
Endodontic Retreatment with Access Endodontics
If your root canal has recently failed, Access Endodontics can help. Ask your dentist or contact us today by calling 410.304.7226.